McAfee Screws the Pooch March 14, 2006Posted by nukemhill in Uncategorized.
Gotta love this. McAfee updated their DAT files on Friday, and it caused some “problems”. It identified hundreds of programs as viruses (or virus infected–I’m not sure which), resulting in their deletion.
I had a run-in with this lovely problem yesterday. One of our company websites is hosted in Miami (we’re in Columbia, MD), and the hosting company uses McAfee. We have a batch program that runs off of that server every morning, and yesterday morning, it was indicating an error. Of course, Windows error messages are less than useful, so we spent some time crunching around the server, trying to figure out what the hell happened. In a flash of inspiration, I checked the McAfee logs. Sure enough, about 30 different programs were removed, including a DLL used during the batch process. And it tried to remove SQL Server! That would have really screwed us!
Had to run a recovery off of our backup system, which took about 4 hours, all told. My boss was suitably impressed that I had figured it out. Heh! Slashdot comes through!